At our clinic, we do not medicate attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, merely to treat its symptoms. Rather, we take a whole- body approach, and try to ascertain the root cause of the disorder. These root causes can come from physical injury to the spine and nervous system. They can also come from neurotransmitter imbalances due to emotional stress and chemical stress due to things like environmental toxins.
In a similar manner, when you experience chronic pain, it is your body’s way of communicating that something isn’t functioning correctly. Instead of stifling this message with drugs, wouldn’t you rather find the cause of the pain and attempt to cut it off at the source?
Symptoms of ADHD
If your child suffers from ADHD, he/she may be displaying any or all of these symptoms:
- Has trouble paying attention, or seems to have a very short attention span
- Seems unable to listen, even when being spoken to directly
- Seems incapable of following directions or finishing something he/she has started
- Easily distracted
- Fidgets a great deal
- Leaves his/her seat without need, even when it is expected of him/her to remain seated
- Runs or climbs repeatedly when inappropriate for the situation
- Has trouble playing calmly and quietly
- Talks a lot
- Is often unable to wait his/her turn
What you can do
If you suspect your child has ADHD, you most likely want to take measures to help them, especially if symptoms are interfering with normal functioning. Although all the causes of ADHD are presently unknown, it is a good idea to start making positive changes to your child’s diet and lifestyle, if only to rule out possible environmental causes. Here are some steps you can take to reduce the chances of environmental factors aggravating your child’s symptoms:
- Have your child tested for food allergies, such as dairy and gluten, and if an allergy is found, remove these foods from his/her diet - we do food allergy testing in our office
- Get rid of foods with artificial dyes, preservatives, and additives
- Try to feed your child organically grown foods that are pesticide- and herbicide-free
- Do not use artificial sweetener
- Transition your household to organic cleansers rather than harsh detergents and chemicals
- Even if your child is not diagnosed with ADHD, these changes can benefit you and every member of your family.
Mainstream medicine often prescribes drugs to children with ADHD. The most commonly prescribed drug for this condition is methylphenidate, which is a psychostimulant that induces chemical reactions in the brain, and can have adverse effects such as increased blood pressure, heart rate, and body temperature, as well as decreased sleep and appetite. Many parents who are hesitant to introduce these types of substances into their children’s developing nervous system are looking to other remedies, such as chiropractic, to treat their children.
Chiropractic and Nutritional Care as Natural Alternatives to Medication
Chiropractic care to improve brain body communication is a must for natural help with ADHD. Also we may suggest neurotransmitter testing which is a urine test to measure the chemical messengers used by the brain to signal nerves. This testing can tell us which of these nerve messengers are out of balance and help us develop a nutritional plan to restore their balance. This combination is powerful natural help for ADHD.
If you are concerned about your child who suffers from ADHD, chances are you have done some research and know of the potential harm medication can do. Thankfully, there is good news for those who wish to avoid these drugs: chiropractic treatments are safe, natural, and effective. Call us now to make an appointment and start on the path to total recovery.
10:00am - 8:00pm
10:00am - 8:00pm
10:00am - 8:00pm
Saturday & Sunday